By 1LT Chris Post
One of the first considerations of many zombie survivalists is what kind of firearm they want by their side. High powered rifles, military grade hardware, and other specialized weapons look great in zombie movies, but in an actual doomsday event you may want to think smaller.
Though it’s not the sexiest or most powerful caliber of firearm, the .22 LR is an ideal apocalypse survival tool in more ways that one.
- COST: Purchasing firearms in .22LR is very cost effective. Dependable rifles can be purchased for as little as $150. Semi-automatic rifles with large volume magazines are available for as little as $250. You can also purchase a .22LR pistol for less than $300. Ammunition is also plentiful and inexpensive.
- PORTABILITY: While .22LR weapons tend to be lighter than their high-powered counterparts, the difference in bulk size and weight of ammunition is the real advantage. With its small size, you can figure 10,000 rounds will weigh about 75 pounds, or about 16 pounds for the case of 2,100.
- CROSSOVER: If all your firearms are chambered in the same caliber, then you need only stock one kind of ammunition. This simplifies storage, transport and supply, which makes the 22LR series of weapons a compelling choice.
- EASE OF USE: Even if your survival team is made up of military personnel, sooner or later you’ll probably need weapons that anyone can use. The .22LR series of firearms can be easily used by novice shooters with very little training. The same can’t be said of other more advanced weapons.
- LETHALITY: A .22LR is not going to blow a huge hole in your enemy, but it will kill. While it is accurate out to about 150 yards, the velocity of the .22 round is still lethal as far out as 400 yards. Each year, roughly 15% of homicides in the United States are committed using .22 caliber weapons.
- PRACTICALITY: The .22LR is also a functional survival tool. Both the .22 rifle and pistol make ideal hunting weapons capable of killing a wide variety of small game, making it a versatile tool that will help keep you alive in more ways than one
When it comes to zombie survival, it’s important to pick the right weapon for the job at hand within your range of abilities. No weapon is the best weapon for
everyone or every purpose. One person’s top pick might be last on another person’s list, and rightly so.
What is your ideal zombie firearm?